Saturday, June 26, 2010

Consign is the Word

So if you're a kid shopaholic like me, you currently have 5 bins of your kid's outgrown last season clothing sitting in your garage. Ok.... maybe you don't. I do, and the funny part, is I actually feel like I'm LOW on stuff in that department. Maybe because it's bigger sizes now, it's less stuff taking up more space? Let's go with that.
Anyway, I discovered quite accidentally two summers ago when I was garage saling for some more great deals on more kid clothes that I didn't need my friend Kelly and her fledgling business Spoiled Little Rascals consignment. She had been selling out of her garage for about a year, and was just about to have her first big public sale. At the time, I was attempting to sell everything on eBay, and was really more interested in shopping for MORE. Also, it was the first retail outlet opportunity for my hair clips.
Two years later, I've gotten some totally killer deals, sold hundreds of hair accessories, and made Thousands (literally) back out of the clothing I have purchased for my kid over the past 3.5 years, with SO much less work than listing on eBay and shipping.
Kelly's business has grown from 20 moms selling stuff out of her garage to 150+ moms selling stuff out of 3 packed gymnasiums at the Eagan Community center over a weekend three times a year. What I love about her sale that sets it apart from some of the others I've since gotten to know, is she's PICKY about what she lets in. Through my many hours of volunteering these sales, I've seen a few cranky consignors over that fact, but the appreciation from the shoppers speaks for itself. They keep coming back, sale after sale, and bringing more and more friends with them to get great deals on great stuff in great shape.
Clothing, shoes, strollers, swings, toys, movies, books..... pretty much everything kid related except car seats (for safety reasons) that are current styles and in excellent condition. No recalled or 10 year old baby gear. No barfed on onesies. No Gymboree outfits from 1995 for $10.

As a shopper, you get thousands of great values for all of your kids, newborn to teen. As a consignor, you get 70-80% of your sales which YOU price to your liking.

Her next sale has been announced for August 20-23rd at the Eagan Community Center. Go register now to sell your outgrown stuff. Volunteer, and get first dibs on all of the amazing deals to be had!!

No comments: